House of Mary and Ozanam Center Records
The Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill began their work of service to the predominantly black population of Pittsburgh’s Hill District in 1942, pioneered by Sister M. Cyril Aaron. Sisters visited people in homes throughout the Hill District, providing food, fuel, and medical care to those in need. In addition, they taught catechetical classes for children and adults. The Society of St. Vincent de Paul worked with and supported the Sisters in their early endeavors and bought a house for the Sisters in 1944, which was then named the House of Mary. Sisters of Charity operated the House of Mary until 1971; the House was torn down in 1972.
The Frederic Ozanam Cultural Center and School was opened in 1962. It offered educational and recreational services for the community, and also encompassed catechetical instruction. The Sisters of Charity withdrew from the Center in the early 1970’s.
Sister Francis Assisi Gorham worked with the Ozanam Strings from 1964 until 1980. The Strings was a music program for young black musicians that focused on the Suzuki Method. It began with six violins and grew into a touring concert orchestra, with members numbering in the hundreds.
Scope and Content
The House of Mary and Ozanam Center records date from 1941-1980. Records consist of meeting minutes, written histories, newspaper clippings, correspondence, programs and publications, financial records, and registers. The collection is organized within 4 standard boxes and 1 flat Hollinger box. Related materials are listed in the finding aid.
Pittsburgh Hospital Records
In February of 1897, the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill opened a nine-room emergency hospital on the corner of Collins Avenue and Stanton Avenue in Pittsburgh, PA. In 1898, they were granted a charter to establish The Charity Hospital of Pittsburgh and chose a Board of Corporators consisting of ‘ten prominent citizens.’ In the early 1900’s, the hospital was relocated from Collins Avenue to the former Finley Homestead. The name was changed to Pittsburgh Hospital in 1908, the same year the first Pittsburgh Hospital School of Nursing class graduated (information regarding the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill records on the Pittsburgh Hospital School of Nursing is available in the archive).
In 1972, Columbia and Pittsburgh Hospitals consolidated and formed the Forbes Hospital System, later known as the Forbes Health System. In 1978, the system would expand to include East Suburban Hospital. The original Pittsburgh Hospital facility is now the Forbes Center for Gerontology and the Forbes Hospice.
Sisters of Charity served at Pittsburgh Hospital and its later incarnations in various capacities through the 2000’s.
Scope and Content
The Pittsburgh Hospital records date from 1897 to 2001; some early records are reproductions. The bulk of records date from the 1960’s and 1970’s. Records consist of meeting minutes, written histories, newspaper clippings, correspondence, programs and publications, financial records, and registers. The collection is organized within one four-drawer filing cabinet and three boxes, as well as materials contained in the archival vault. Also contained is information about the Women’s Auxiliary of Pittsburgh Hospital.